#WeMakeEvents is working hard behind the scenes, securing meetings with government officials and gaining support from a number of cross-party MPs who have written directly to the Chancellor.
We all want to go back to work, so we are asking the UK Government to help us get back to work by offering:
1. Government backed COVID – 19 Insurance Scheme
Why – To ensure if local lockdowns happen event organisers will recover costs and attendees will receive a refund.
2. Government support for widespread proactive COVID -19 testing for event attendees
Why – To give confidence to attendees and organisers that the event is safe and COVID – 19 Compliant.
3. A three-year extension to the reduced cultural vat rate on tickets in line with DCMS recommendations
Why – To stimulate the return of a viable live entertainment sector.
Until gathering for events is not restricted by legislation, we are also calling on the Government for:
4. Grants – not loans – made available to businesses in the events supply chain
Why – To give companies the flexibility to allocate financial resources where they need it most, to keep their business afloat and to enable them to keep employees, adding value to the UK economy and culture in the future.
5. A specific job support scheme for live events supply chain until the government guidelines change on social distancing to allow a commercially viable return to work
Why – To allow employers to retain highly skilled people in preparation for a return to work; to support the freelance community, including single director companies; and to support all those excluded by the current government eligibility criteria. This will help us to be ready to kickstart the industry and hence the UK economy.