In positive long-term news for events, the All Party Parliamentary Group for Events has been rebooted. The previous chair had to step down upon ministerial appointment (Ministers cannot be chairs of APPG’s). The new chair is Theresa Villiers MP, a well-connected Conservative politician.
APPG’s meet a few times a year to brief politicians from both houses on the group’s subject. It is a way for long-term changes to be moved into action, and depends upon the number and quality of supporting MP’s.
As such, WeMakeEvents are contacting event-friendly MP’s to ask them to join.
If you could write to your MP and ask them to join or support the APPG, this would strengthen the group.
Points to raise:
- Offer praise for government or MP actions that have been helpful so far.
- Ask them if they would join or support the APPG for Events?”
- They can email firstname.lastname@example.org to contact the secretariat.
- Mention event venues or supply chain businesses, or significant employers in the constituency.
- You could update them with your personal position, and what help you may need.
A template for a letter can be downloaded on the link below, but please remember to personalise the letter as far as possible as that will have greater traction with MPs.